Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Note On A First Date

It took me six months to muster the courage to ask her out. And the date couldn't be more perfect if this just didn't happen. I forgot my wallet. So much for making impression, I don't know what she would think of me five seconds from now.

I took a glance at the waiter. He looked down on me, waiting impatiently. Somehow, he grew taller and taller from where I sat. He already hated us because we were laughing so much, and didn't budge a bit although we knew they were closing for the night. That was until he came and showed us the bill.

'Ehm'. I cleared my throat. She's looking at me unknowingly with her big sparkly eyes. Oh no, she could've been my future, the wife I would marry one day. I would never met someone as perfect as her anymore. It just took me so many time and effort. I even read the twilight saga, just to make up some conversation. Then why, oh why, in my 16 year old life, something like this should happen? Right now, I just wanted the earth to break open and swallow me.

And suddenly it did.

At first, I thought it's just my hand, shaking so hard. But then, I heard the glass tingling, bottles toppled on the floor, and suddenly the windows cracked and shattered. It was chaos. We took cover under the table. But the shaking was tremendous, and I could see the floor began to crack.

'This must be my lucky day.' With that thought in mind, I passed out.

***

A friend once said, miracle only happens to saints. I woke up the next day in a hospital bed. It turned out to be a 5.0 magnitude earthquake. It wasn't much actually, but the pizzeria was said to be in an old building. My left arm suffered from a bone fracture. Apparently, somebody stepped on it on their way out during my passed out. I'm still trying hard not to think that it was the waiter, deliberately did it on purpose.

If you're curious about the girl, she's alright. She managed to get out. We met at school about a week after that, but she thought it's a bad omen to keep dating someone with whom you had such a traumatic first date with. If only she knew that I also couldn't pay for the meal.

Well for me, I've learned my lesson. Life is just too short to wait for six months to ask your dream girl out. And by the way, my dating life isn't that bad anymore. Many girls wanted to know about what happened, and the cast helped a lot, too.

6 comments:

  1. i like this one. i can totally imagine the obnoxious waiter and how he can be vindictive enough to harm Edgar while he was unconscious. he he. good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I love the 'read twilight saga' part! A funny, creative way to emphasize his love. I also like the waiter, really spice up the story. A nice story in a little world of yours, Mi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one! So simple, yet elegant. I like the fact that no matter how many bad luck you have in life, you also get a little good luck to compensate, even though it's an earthquake. Great job!

    mine:
    http://anandserpi.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/the-storage-room/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it. The earthquake was unexpected. I also like that the good and bad luck counter balanced each other. Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good. Huge teenage angst and an out of the blue save for the poor kid. :)

    ReplyDelete